“Does operating a well-established blog like yours require a lot of work? I am brand new to running а blog, however Ι do write in my diary еveryԁay. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my own experience and thoughts online. Please, let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers? Thank you!”
The above question was asked by a commentator on my blog under the title “The Importance of having a website for your business”. I made a promise to him. I told him, I will give answers to his question. The time has come to answer his question. To run an established blog, you need five major ingredients, without which, your friends and family will only be the readers of the blog. Here are some of the things you need to know if you are to run an established blog.
1. Have confidence in yourself: You cannot accomplish anything without confidence. So, if you have doubt in your ability, don’t start blogging until you change that. If you begin without working on your confidence, you will fail. You need to understand that confidence does not come with always being right but from not fearing to be wrong. You won’t be speaking to your friends and family alone who probably respect your views on issues, you will be speaking to a national or international readers who don’t give a hoot about who you really are nor your opinion. Very often you will read phrases like “This is crap, boy”, “Stop writing. It is not for you”, “being a doctor doesn’t mean you know what you are saying”, “get a life, girl” etc. If you lack self-confidence, these phrases will define you because they will live rent free in your mind and you will give up as a result. While some of your commentators’ advice maybe true and harsh about your work, most are not. So, don’t dwell on them too much. Rather, use them as a spring board to work harder and succeed in the midst of criticism. Remember this, you are capable. Action is a high road to self-confidence. The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself. Having a good dose of self-confidence is key to your long term success. If you want to break free of whatever might keep you from beginning anything, I recommend you read, “Let go of whatever makes you stop” by John Mason. The best book I ever red.
2. Create a Niche: If you don’t yet have a niche, don’t start blogging. A niche is a comfortable or suitable position in life or employment or a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service. What this means is that if your niche is in football, stay there, if it is catering, stay there, tech, stay there, parenting, stay there, teenagers, stay there, medicine, stay there, decoration, stay there, beauty, stay there. Farming, stay there, etc. It is foolish to write about what you don’t know much about. You will tire out and run out of original ideas quickly. To be a successful blogger, you must write from a position of strength and particularly, knowledge. You must read widely about you niche, endeavouring always to be ahead of your readers. You cannot inspire an army of devoted readers if you cannot lead your followers into a new level of knowledge and understanding in your niche. Knowledge in your industry is moving at a faster pace than you can ever imagine. So, You simply can’t be behind.
3. Be Consistent: Success isn’t always about greatness but consistency. If you can be consistent in blogging, then you are already half way there. Consistency is one common denominator that you can find in all successful bloggers across the globe. If you have picked a particular day of the week for blogging, make sure you stick to the day because trust is built with consistency. And when you are
You cannot be a winner without maturity and being consistent with what you do brings maturity and bloom like a beautiful flower. Even the bible says a man steady in character can achieve anything. So, if you cannot create time and stretch yourself to be available to blog regularly, don’t start.
4. improve your writing skills:
There is a saying that goes thus; “Everybody writes but not everybody writes well”. Writing is intimidating to a lot of people, particularly those who don’t write for a living or on a regular basis. And almost anybody can improve their writing skills with a little discipline and a willingness to learn. Before you start blogging, you can take a free online course to learn at least the intermediate understanding of the basic principles of writing. No matter what you know. If you don’t know how to express yourself clearly in writing, you cannot get anyones attention. Writing is not as difficult as some may think. If you want to get better at something, you have to practice and writing is no exception. Don’t forget that you’re developing content and developing content is part of your brand marketing skills. If you don’t write well, you are hurting your brand and no one would take you serious.
- Learn how to promote your blog;
We all have Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and Instagram accounts and we all have friends and close ones. So, start announcing your blog to your friends and close ones so they have in their minds that you have a blog. Add your blog URL to your email signature so whenever you send email to your contacts, your contacts can check it out. Add your blog URL to the social profiles.
So whenever your friends found you on social media then they can find your blog URL under your name and check it out. Take part in forums and discussions related to your niche and when you sign up for their accounts at that time put your blog URL under your name, it will give you backlinks also. It is the most important part of the blogging world that you have a network of people related to your profile. Find people related to your profile and add them to your ID and check their work and profile and start your conversation with them on a good topic. I recommend you start researching the top blogs related to your niche and start commenting on their latest posts and don’t forget to place your blog URL on their comment form. There are actually several ways you can promote your blog and because of it’s importance, i will write extensively on this in a separate article. Without mincing words, the success of your blog depends on your promotional skills.